Thursday, August 20, 2009

We're not in Kansas anymore.... Jesus?

Grandma Hoerner's had the best coffee and tea selection!

Have you ever driven through Kansas? I’m not saying it’s not a great state, because it certainly has wonderful things. Maybe I should ask like this; have you ever driven the entire state on I-70. That route tends to be a little boring.

We left home at 330pm on Wednesday and headed for St. Louis. Can I just say by the way that the city of St. Louis is gorgeous, and THAT arch… WOW! Can I also say as a side note that if you ever have the chance to go up in the arch, unless you’re claustrophobic you should. (I did not realize I was claustrophobic until I was already in the elevator and thought I might die).

I barely remember St. Louis because I was so tired. We arrived at the hotel sometime between 1 and 3…. The whole trip is a bit of a blur!

When we got up in the morning we headed straight west for Kansas. A good share of our day was spent on the plains of Kansas. I-70 is boring, it just is. I said the whole way through Kansas that it would be a whole lot better if we could stop and do a few things. So we drove…. And stopped and pottied and drove….. and stopped and ate and drove…..

As we drove I said a couple of times to Bat Girl…. “Was that Jesus?” If you think I’m crazy then you have never driven through Kansas! We weren’t really sure as we whizzed by. On the way home we were much more observant and realized that there are many painted billboards of Jesus on I-70. Have you seen Jesus with his head sticking out of the wheat? You really should consider driving through Kansas…. Really! Yes, it can be boring but it also has a really rare beauty that is worth seeing and experiencing for yourself.

I’m an avid reader of Meg Duerksen’s whatever blog and so I was really looking forward to Kansas, the sunflowers and the wheat. I kept saying “we are like 45 minutes north of Newton Kansas”… I wanted to go through Newton so badly! I am dying to see Megs house… I am dying to have lunch with Meg, not that I actually know her, but I love her blog!

On the way home I was tired and resting my eyes and as I turned and struggled to get comfortable my eyes opened for a second and I looked out at the open fields and much to my surprise/dismay the water tower above said “Newton, Kansas” and I jumped up and said “Are you kidding me? Meg lives here”! (We went a different way home)… I felt so sad to tell Newton goodbye without even a glimpse of Meg! Go figure she doesn’t live right off the highway… it’s kind of like when we went to Savannah and saw neither hide nor hair of Ruby!

Seriously… does anyone have pictures of the paintings of Jesus in Kansas? I knew I would regret not stopping…. I’ve searched online for pictures and nada… was it all a mirage? Jesus? Wheat Jesus? Surely I didn’t imagine the whole thing?

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Nope, I saw Jesus in Kansas too. Unfortunately, I saw a whole lot of things I wish I would have been able to stop and get a picture of, but if we had done that we probably wouldn't be home yet!