Sunday, August 23, 2009

L-I-Q-U-O-R


Here’s a story that I totally forgot about until we went to our favorite place to eat in Colorado Springs.

We planned to eat at Conway’s Red Top while in Colorado Springs because it’s history is rich, we know the Conway’s and Red Top is SO Colorado Springs! We use to eat there a lot when the kids were little and here’s the story to prove it.

When Kid1 was a little boy he really struggled to read, he just could NOT read a single word. We tried so hard to teach him. We bought the Bob books; we read and read to him. He finished Kindergarten and half of 1st grade and still couldn’t read. We were really stressing about it around our house!

At school he had the sweetest teacher named Mrs. Mouser and she had the kids keep "daily word journals" that they brought home once a week for us to sign and enjoy. Kid1 mostly drew pictures and wrote some letters here and there and sweet, sweet Mrs. Mouser kept reassuring us that he would in time read and write. We seriously doubted it!

One day the little 1st grade journal came home and I opened it up and lo and behold there was a written word. Guess what it said? (it was written just like this)

L
I
Q
U
O
R

I was shocked to say the least! We didn’t even drink "liquor"in our house! I was totally perplexed and feeling like I was surely screwing up my first born somehow…. the no reading and now "liquor". There must have been a reason that my kid couldn’t read his own name but he could spell the word “Liquor”!
For days, I wondered and worried… until…..

We sat at our usual corner table at Conway’s Red Top in Colorado Springs one night waiting for our ginormously tasty burgers and I looked out the window to see this


I breathed a sigh of relief…. to say the least!

Oh yeah and Kid1 is an excellent reader and obviously observant.
WHEW, what a relief!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

HA! That is too cute! :)