Monday, January 12, 2009

venting

Teenagers are very misunderstood. I know this may seem crazy but they are I know I’m right because I have two. Two misunderstood teens that I created all on my own (you know what I mean).

Teens so often get a bad rap; adults look at them and think they are up to now good, lying, cheating or stealing. I often feel bad for teens because I remember being one. I felt so very misunderstood.

There was one person who truly understood me as a teen and I loved her deeply. I spent as much time with her as possibly, I babysat her kids and soaked up her thoughts, words and goodness. I learned more from Hazel than anyone could ever hope to learn from one single person and she loved me, awkward teen and all. When she spoke to me, I knew that it was genuine, from her heart and true. She never spoke down to me, even if she scolded me, and trust me she did many times. She earned my respect by respecting me. I used her as an excuse to stay out of lots of trouble by saying I had to babysit. I can close my eyes now and see her so clearly.

She died many years ago and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss her for a thousand reasons. She was my role model, my rock, and my safe place as a teen. Losing her was certainly like losing a piece of me.

In hard mothering times I miss her even more. I wonder what she would tell me now as I struggle through times with my teens. I wonder how she would tell me to handle the mean neighbors who have said bad and un-true things about my children. I wonder what she would tell me about them having cell phones- good idea or bad. I wonder what she would say about them starting to drive, date and move into adulthood? I wish she were here to guide me.

My teenagers, Kid1 and Kid2 are truly good kids. Kid1 is a skater kid so I think he gets harshly judged because of it and I hate it. He loves to skateboard, right now it’s his passion in life to learn new tricks and ride fast, he is truly talented. Isn’t that what we all strive for in life; a passion, something we love and look forward to each day? I’m thrilled that his passion is skateboarding. He could be drinking, cursing and doing drugs, but he isn’t. My Kid is spending his time skateboarding outside our house with his baby sister cheering him on. This kid is the first kid to help anyone, anytime. He is a good hearted boy with a love of a skateboard. Bad thing? I don’t think it is!

Kid2 is such a sweet girl. She has really struggled to fit in here. She had such a safety net of friends and adults who supported her and truly loved her for who she was in Texas. Moving really hit her hard and I hate that my neighbors have said mean things to her. When she was in 4th grade she started a Morning Prayer group, when someone in school is the underdog she always helps them out, she looks into others hearts and can see good in anyone. She reads endless books to her baby sister, baths her, sets up entire sleepovers for her and is so sweet to Kid4 who truly is an annoying little sister.

I never cease to be proud of my kids. I am amazed daily at them, at their niceness, their genuineness, their realness and their hearts. I am so thankful to God for these children who are nowhere near perfect but who keep me on the edge of my seat every day waiting for the next great saga. My teenagers are indeed teens. But isn’t a teenagers job to be a teen? Aren’t they suppose to be a little awkward, figure out things the hard way, get their hearts broken, and make you a little crazy? If they skipped this whole process would they still be the same when they were adults?

I like my teens, I just do. I wouldn’t trade them for anything and my neighbor is truly missing out on nice kids who are willing to help, support and be lifelong friends with whoever they meet without judgment.

HEY NEIGHBOR!
I hope you get the Osborne’s as your new neighbors!

No comments: