Thursday, January 15, 2009

kitten paws


I was lying in bed this morning with my littlest girl next to me and as she woke up I held her hands and rubbed her palms and fingers and realized that her hands are growing up. It made me sad because her hands are the littlest hands in my house and she is the last baby. If her hands are growing she must be growing too.

It wasn’t just how big her hands felt it was that they are losing their kitten paw quality. Do you know what I mean? You know when kittens are born they have those soft paws and until they get a little older. As your little kitten plays outside, and scratches around in the litter box those soft paws lose their kitten softness.

When babies are born they have the softest paws… errrr….. hands. Those little hands and feet feel like the softest silk. Baby hands bring me to my knees, and make my heart skip a beat. I rubbed those little hands and feet until my babies couldn’t stand it anymore.

This morning as I laid there with her next to me and she held my hand and I rubbed her little hands I realized that her little hands just aren’t the little kitten paws that they use to be. The digging in the sand, the crawling on the carpet away from chasing brothers, the climbing up the slide after friends has taken a toll on those little paws and they will never feel the same as they did for all those years before she decided to get bigger.

I love watching her grow- every single day is a treat and a surprise but I miss those little silky paws.
P.S. The move is going great. We should be in our new house by tomorrow- Woo Hoo!

No comments: