Friday, January 9, 2009

moving to a new house


I’m moving to a new house and I’m trying to reach daily goals. We are moving in 6 days- next Thursday and I am wavering back and forth about if I am either going to have so much packed that we won’t comfortably make it through the weekend and the beginning of next week, or will I not have enough packed so I will be frantically throwing things in boxes at the last minute? Does that even make sense?


Moving with kids is a delicate balance! I mean when it comes right down to the brass tacks (I always wanted to say that-hee hee) of things there is very little that we REALLY need to survive… BUT… also I like everyone to be comfortable at all times. If you know me well you know that I DO NOT travel unprepared, here are a few examples-


· When the kids were little and we lived in Colorado Springs, I had a stash of those boxed “heater” meals and a survival kit for each kid in case we ever got stranded in the snow. I never got stranded and Bat Girl made me throw them away- she’s a sucker for an expiration date.
· When Kid2 was on a girl’s soccer team, a little girl fell and broke her arm and in my trunk was an emergency kit and a roll of tin foil. We were able to use the tin foil roll as a stabilizer for her arm.
· Once a friend of mine’s keyboard went out while I was over and I had one in my trunk- if you love your computer- you know this IS an emergency!
· I use to have a roll of waxed paper in my trunk at all times for bad slides at the park- if you slide using waxed paper you can go really fast and the kids loved it!
· In my purse there is a manicure kit, a sewing kit, wipes, 2 kinds of anti-bac, Lysol, alcohol wipes, a small emergency kit…. Need I go on?


I always have jumper cables (almost always- there was that bad truck stop incident that I didn’t have them… only J would remember that one, an emergency kit, a roll of tin foil – only that once, and whatever someone might need.


ANYWAY- this is not a post about travelling, we are moving to the next town over only 20 minutes away and I do not need too much but still I struggle to pack the plates- will I leave out enough? The glasses- might we need ONE more drink? What about the beds? Should all the beds go last? If they go last will we be sleeping in a house with nothing but beds? That means no curtains, no clothes to get dressed in, no bathroom items- no glasses, like I said what if we get thirsty? I’m a total planner and I cannot for the life of me figure out the best way to plan this whole thing out. It’s not like we’re moving far but if you wake up in the middle of the night needing something, 20 minutes seems a little far to go get a glass!


I’m a major planner but I’m not good at it. I write list after list but sometimes the lists are too detailed or not enough detail, sometimes I write “make a list” on my list… is that weird?
We are excited about our move, it’s a much bigger house, more space, great yard- just the perfect house, and we love it! The kids have walked through it planning and thinking of all the new memories each will make in the new house. I keep laying in bed decorating it in my head- there are WAY more walls in this house. OH THE STRESS!


So moving just 15 minutes away is leaving me feeling just a little unprepared for meals, bathtimes, homeschool and daily life in general!


Just look at this cute house! Isn’t it totally us? Well we have to give the real credit to Bat Girl- she found this fantastic house over the Christmas and we all fell in love with it!

6 comments:

wabisabigirl said...

Yeah, I know what you mean!! I'm anal like that too with the lists on the list! And then for some reason I often LOSE my list and then where am I? Because I can't for the life of me keep everything in my head...but then that's why I wrote the list...and it goes on! Your new house looks beautiful!

wabisabigirl said...

Also, that is a SERIOUS deck!

Ashley said...

Thanks Steph... I LOVE the deck too! I love the whole house! We really needed more space so it's perfect.

I am such a list girl- It's ridiculous, but I cannot possibly hold all that information inside my head- if I write it down I can cope.

I'll put more pics up as I get it "done"... is it really ever "done"?

~Ash

Life In Oh-me-haw said...

I love the house! I am so excited for you! Also, speaking of Bat-girl, did I hear she is moving from MP????

Ashley said...

Bat-Girl is joining me here in Georgia. Her hubby got a job here and is already here. We are thrilled because we are really like a big family and my kids have been heart-broken without them here.

We have lived near each other for close to ten years and it's been really hard being here without them. The boys are like brothers, and it is so nice to have 4 parents with all my kids- LOL!

Don't worry because Bat Girl and I will be sure to come back- my grandparents live near and we will certainly travel back for years to come.

She is moving here in the summer so let's all get together before she goes.

Hug K for me and B say's hi too!

Life In Oh-me-haw said...

I can't believe she is moving too but that is so exciting for all of you! Let me know when ya'll are down here in the summer to help her pack up to move and ya'll can both bring the kids over to swim and we can visit before ya'll go back!!!