Wednesday, December 10, 2008

sadness and heartbreak


I just found out that an old baseball buddy of my oldest son was killed last night. He was killed at a friend’s house “horse playing with guns”. He was shot by another teen who thought the gun was not loaded and pointed it at Riley’s head, it was a loaded shotgun. My gut just aches about this for so many reasons. I’m sure you already know them all.

I have told my sons for years that it’s not them I don’t trust with guns, it’s others. I have always said that someone may be playing and unintentionally kill you or someone else. Either one is unacceptable and devastating.

I do believe in the right to bear arms. I just don’t bear them. I almost bought a gun quite a few years ago when my kids were little and I was travelling a lot, but I have one very curious and hands on son. I felt like I would have to keep it locked up in the glove compartment and if I did get car jacked I would have to say to the person taking my car “could you wait one moment please while I get my weapon to defend myself against you”…. This made no sense so I decided against it.

This boy who was killed knew how to use a gun, hunted and I know fully understood gun safety. It’s so senseless. My heart aches for his family. He was being raised by his paternal grandparents who really were such good people and adored him always. His Grandpa coached his baseball team most years from the time he was very little.

I have gone about my day doing the things I normally do but my mind keeps wandering back to his family and then my gut aches and my heart drops again. I keep thinking about how his Grandparents must feel, and how his only brother must feel being left behind. It’s so sad, it’s so horrible.

It reminds me of my nephew and how he died so suddenly and so senselessly. Teenagers do things that are unsafe, un-thought out, and irrational but no one deserves to die for it. I’m sad tonight for Riley’s family and every other family whose kids have lost their lives from senseless accidents. Please pray for Riley’s family tonight, they need it.
**the pictures above is the last picture the cousins took all together

No comments: