Friday, December 26, 2008

Paula Deen, southern delightfulness and stinky shoes









I’m sure you’re curious about my trip to Savannah with Bat Girl, the title of my post and Christmas and I’ll do my best to tell the story but you will wish you were here for the fun- I promise you that.

My Christmas gift to Bat Girl was a two day trip to Savannah Georgia where we could go without kids, shop, eat till we were sick and see beautiful Savannah at its Holiday best.
Savannah was everything any busy mom who needs a break from daily life, loves to shop and enjoys true beauty could hope for. Savannah is one of the most beautiful places in the United States, I’m sure of it. There are old houses that demand your attention; they stand tall wrapped in iron porches and this particular trip they were also wrapped in garland, bows, and wreaths. Downtown Savannah is magical. Every store window dressed in Christmas beauty, modern marvels or timeless classics. Savannah boasts something for everyone and I can promise you that it is true.

We left early Monday morning and headed straight for downtown on a mission. Our mission was Paula Deens, Lady and Sons’ for lunch. Bat Girl and I recently bought a GPS and we were thrilled at not having to drive street after street guessing where it was, going on the feeling of right or left and asking around. We drove straight there and were looking forward to lunch that afternoon. We found a close enough parking garage and parked in anticipation of our day with just us-no kids, and Paula Deens!

Once we found our spot I had to change clothes, if you know me, you know that I drove in something much more comfortable than I was planning on wearing all day. I took my shoes off and changed my clothes but here’s the problem with taking cheap shoes off- the stench was killing me, then bat girl and I feared for my car. Stinky shoes, and a locked car for hours is not a good combo and I could NOT walk in these shoes all day long….. I also could not ask my car to soak up the smell all day either. Our solution- put them on the sun roof outside of the car and write myself a note so I didn’t drive off with them on the roof at the end of the day. I was positive no one would steal these babies and it was really no loss if they did! Clothes changed, smelly shoes taken care of and on the roof, off to kill some time before lunch. Excellent!

We walked around Savannah; saw the most beautiful stores full of vintage clothes, modern decoration and furniture that a girl would kill for. We sat on every chair and couch in a particular furniture store. Bat Girl found her next couch and we dreamed of our houses full of furniture just like this adorning each room.

I don’t have to tell you that we laughed until unfortunately I almost wet my pants- AGAIN! I don’t have to tell you that we probably stood out on the quiet streets of beautiful downtown Savannah with our hee-haw and guffawing, I probably don’t even have to tell you that we stood still while we laughed wherever we were so we didn’t wet ourselves more than I already had! When it comes to Bat Girl and I that’s all a given.

We got into Paula Deens and waited excitedly for the food and it’s just exciting to be there. Once we got sat down we ate marvelous food. I truly don’t believe in a buffet! I think it’s gross, I think it’s a bad idea, they call it a sneeze guard for a reason people! ANYWAY- we ate the buffet at Lady and Sons’ because it’s different, I promise it’s different- trust me! We ate baked and fried chicken, BBQ pork, southern collard greens, mac and cheese to die for- I thought I was gonna lose Bat girl over the mac and cheese- HONESTLY! I live for sweet iced tea and they have sweet iced tea I wanted to have through an IV. We were eating, laughing, and loving life then dessert came- WOW! So Bat Girl got extra Paula Deen cream and we were instantly transported to heaven. I ask you this my friends- Is there anything better than best friends, time away in a beautiful city and Paula Deens’ cream- No WAY!

More stories to come…

No comments: