Sunday, December 28, 2008

baby names and pop rocks


Have you ever heard of mommies bringing home their babies from the hospital all named and ready to go and then like a flash they change their minds about the name and re-name the baby? Like the first name never happened, like a mommy might say oh’ yes I would like this beautiful bouncing baby girl to be named Maxine Patricia and then all of a sudden she realizes that this name might be a little too old for a baby or the nick name- Maxie-Pat might be something the other kids would make fun of…. So she changes that sweet baby’s name to Candice Caitlyn?

This is exactly what happened to my girl on Christmas day. As she un-wrapped her twin baby dolls she was thrilled just like a new mommy would be. With one look at those little tiny hands and feet she couldn’t believe that she could be so lucky as to have been blessed with twins. As she looked lovingly into their eyes as she was prying them out of the box we asked her what she would name these beauty’s and she lovingly replied …

“Bruno and Runo”

There really are no words and we were all a little speechless. She has been in a phase for over a year now where she names every single thing Alison. We were all expecting the usual of Alison and much to our HORROR she was out of the “Alison phase”. We tried to over look it; we tried to come to terms with it. It wasn’t like these babies were real; it wasn’t like she is really all that social and she might tell someone else about these horrid names. We tried to just go on and open other presents, hoping to wipe this memory from our minds.

I won’t lie to you; I honestly deeply hoped she would re-name these dolls. I know it shouldn’t matter but it does. So a little later I asked her again hoping she would go back to the usual Alison and Alison2. I was waiting for the answer and with great anticipation; she seemed to have forgotten their names- oh please let her have forgotten their names!

I waited wringing my hands in angst as she announced the new names of the twins and you won’t believe what she chose and has stuck to.

As a proud mother would announce the names of her beautiful children, my girl seemed to have forgotten all together that they DID already have names. I felt like the new names would not, COULD NOT be as bad as “Bruno and Runo”. With much bewilderment I listened to the announcement of these two new babies to her room as she introduced us (again) to-
Rocky and Rock the Pop Rock.

So I’d like to welcome to Kid4’s room and to formally introduce her new twin babies to the Alison’s (every other baby in her room). There it is folks, the imagination or horrible name picking abilities of MY girl now exposed. And three days later she is stickin’ to Rocky and Rock the Pop Rock.

*here’s to hoping she lets ME name her real kids*

P.S. I am slowly coming to terms with the new phase of weird names, I never thought I would say this but- I miss Alison.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement and hope!

I really appreciate your prayers and felt them today-- I even took a nap :)

~Mrs.Cuddles