Monday, December 29, 2008

"HANG-ing" around Savannah


I love a good sale. I’ve always loved a good sale. I’m not the kind of girl that buys it just because it’s on sale, but I am the kind of a girl who if I think I will actually use it, I just can’t pass it up.
For instance when I saw a great sale on Pam cooking spray 4 for a dollar- who could pass that up, and the GIANT flat of cereal for 5 dollars, the case of cran-grape for the price of one bottle?
It’s a good idea to have a keen eye for a sale.

This keen eye that I have mentioned is the same keen eye that my Bat Girl has and that keen eye also saved her from a loogie in her drink the next day so it’s nothing to scoff at- we really shouldn’t bad mouth a keen eye.

Bat Girl and I went to the mall in Savannah. If you know us at all you know that we have gone to just about every mall between here and the west coast- if there is a mall to be gone to, we go! Our plan of attack was simple get to the hotel, get changed, clean up a little from the mega day of walking and GPS the local mall. Done.

While we were at the mall we saw that their Steve and Barry’s was going out of business as so many stores are doing now days. We thought we should take a little look see. When we went in everything was 70-90 percent off. So the t-shirts are a little over a dollar, the sweatshirts about 2 dollars… I was trying really hard because NONE of my kiddlings need clothes right now and Steve and Barry’s shrinks.

We were looking around and finding one thing or another and decided on a sweatshirt for Mr. B. and her little guy and that’s all. As we got to the cash register we saw the sign that changed our lives, or at least the course the evening and the next evening too, and perhaps how the Dillard’s employee’s viewed us. That fantastic life changing sign read-

HANGERS- 5 for 1 DOLLAR

Now my friends these aren’t your run of the mill wire hangers, or those plastic tube ones. HONEY, these are genuine authentic wooden MALL hangers and we needed them. As Bat Girl read the sign out loud to me I could hardly believe my ears and our luck! She looked back at me and said “I’m gonna have to have me some of those”.

And that was simply that, who could pass up such a deal? Not us! Bat Girl settled on 75 hangers and I told the cashier that she wanted 75 she looked at me in disbelief and said that we would have to bag them ourselves. I was not keen on that idea. You just try to picture 75 hangers in a bag? I was seriously doubting my ability to bag them and certainly doubting my ability to carry them. Then there was the problem of me deciding that I needed at least 100 too. There was no way we could bag almost 200 genuine authentic wooden mall hangers- no way! I found a cart emptied it and we began to count. I settled on 120 and she settled on 100. We got the hangers in a cart and not gracefully I might add. So we got them, paid for them and then strolled through the mall with more hangers than I care to admitt and struggled through Dillard’s small doors with them and as much as I hate to say it- they weren’t nice to us; they definitely felt like we were hanger whores. We tried not to hang our heads in embarrassment as we struggled through the door; hangers catching on clothes, racks and even people all the way to the parking lot. One girl actually asked us what in the world we were going to do with all the hangers and definitely laughed at us. I tried to explain about our closets and how nice they would look- she didn't care. She scoffed and pointed. (I bet our closets are so much better than hers!)

We loaded them up and the went back to the hotel to laugh a little about the hangers and how crazy our men would think we were but also how great our closets would look. We didn't have to work too hard to convince ourselves, we love good hangers AND a good deal. This night was a 2-fer! I mean who doesn’t want a whole closet full of matching hangers? I certainly did…. And this is where more problems started. As we walked beautiful downtown Savannah the second day, fished a loogie out of Bat Girls hot chocolate and marveled at the beauty of the southern charm and simplicity my mind kept wandering back to those darn hangers and how great my closet would look and how if we went back just one more time before we headed home how beautifully organized ALL my closets could be.

Would it be absurd to do it again? Would I seem crazy to buy a WHOLE lot more hangers? Is it possible to have too much of those genuine authentic wooden mall hangers? Could I really be a hanger whore? As the day wore on closer and closer to us going home I couldn’t stand it and I mentioned to Bat Girl how I would love to have just a few more of those great hangers and how would the kids closets look if they just had those hangers? She agreed as I knew she would and we were off. This time we were much more confident and on a genuine authentic wooden mall hanger mission (GAWMHM). This time we were prepared for the laughing, the questions, the staring- we didn’t care at all.

When I got into that store I kid you not I went blind, all I could see was hangers, I felt like I couldn’t get enough of them. I saw baby hangers, pant hangers, coat hangers- it was amazing. Bat Girl got 100 more and I got about 175 more. I got Kid4 the dark GAWMH in small and the rest of us light GAWMH’s and I was thrilled! Yes I had to tell many people in line that I have 4 kids and I am re-doing all their closets, and yes they were still pointing and laughing and NO- I didn’t care at all (maybe a little).

As we again strolled thru Dillards’ and got the stink eye from the same perfume lady but this time I was proud of my find and that I would have clean and organized closets before the New Year and I’m still happy about it. Her closets probably have ugly wire hangers while my clothes hang on wonderful mall hangers!

To make a long story shorter- we got them home, banded them together ten at a time as we unloaded and I’m elated to say that each kid re-hung their own clothes and cleaned out their closets! They look fantastic. It was all worth it and I would do it again. As a matter of fact I wish I had a few more!
*Happy hanging*

No comments: