Friday, October 17, 2008

Whittling, microscopes, feelings and this crazy lady...


Do you ever have something on your mind and you just whittle and whittle away at it? As you whittle you hope and pray that it will just go away but sometimes it seems like the more you whittle the bigger it becomes? I’m a mind whittler- I think and think and think about things until they are gone or dealt with. There are always those things that you whittle and work on and process and turn over and over and they just won’t go away. What do you do with those things?

Mr. B. always says that men compartmentalize things and women have one main file they like to store everything in. Although I tend to agree with that for the most part, I’m not sure about it 100% of the time. I think my mind is more like scientific slides. I was at the children’s museum with Kid4 Thursday and as we looked through the big microscopes at slide after slide I began to think that my brain was like that. It’s like having hundreds and hundreds of slides stacked all together. You can see through every one of them but you can’t always see just one. My thoughts are “compartmentalized” they are just in transparent files so to speak.

I don’t hide my feelings well. I don’t think I ever have- you’d have to ask Steph if I was a feelings hider in high school? I know I’m not now- that’s for sure. So, if I’m disappointed in someone or something I am just simply disappointed and don’t hide it. If I’m sad, I’m just sad and don’t hide it. I couldn’t hide my feelings if I tried, so if I’m feeling something I usually just avoid everyone because I don’t think it’s someone else’s responsibility to have to deal with my inability to not hide my feelings. Does that make sense?

I always hope I don’t come across like the lady (I use the term “Lady” loosely) in this picture above. She had absolutely no ability to hide her feelings whatsoever on the show wife swap. I really worry that my inability to hide my own feelings makes me come across a little nutty sometimes.

Yes! I have watched the show…. Yes I know it’s a waste of time…. Yes I am embarrassed about it… yes! I have watched it more than once…. NO! I don’t want to talk about it!

So, is it better to be able to hide your feelings away in a file and trap them in your head or let them all hang out and risk being practically transparent? This is the question of the day and probably the year!

2 comments:

wabisabigirl said...

Oh, I used to put that on my DVR...I need to do that again. I'm a watcher too:) Ben gets too frustrated to watch with me, but it's always like a train wreck and I can't turn away! No, you were never one to hide your feelings, but I think that's good...it's the people who don't tell you what they're thinking/how they're feeling that are hard to deal with..how can you ever get past something if you don't verbalize it?? :) I should dredge up some old notes from high school!!

Ashley said...

Steph, oh' please do dig up old notes! I wonder what they would say... how funny! I HAVE to dig up that picture of us in our uniforms and me in your room! Okay- I'm looking now!