Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sweet and Sweaty Spelling bee at my house TONIGHT!

This evening the kids, Mr. B. and I were laughing at Kid1 for spelling something wrong earlier that day and I mentioned to the kids and our favorite house guest, The Shadow that Mr.B. was not the best speller… so he really should not be making fun of anyone else for mis-spelling anything.

When Mr. B. and I were dating he was in the Navy and we wrote lots of lovely letters back and forth to each other.

His first letters to me read like this-

“Dear Sweaty,
I’m sitting here in the bearthing thinking of you….. “

So lets break this letter down one word at a time. First, was he calling me sweaty like hot? I couldn't say, I didn’t know him all that well yet…

Second what is a “bearthing”? Honestly I wasn’t sure what he was saying but I felt as though it may be terribly inappropriate and I was fearful that my mom would read it…

Here’s what he was REALLY saying:
Dear Sweetie,
I am sitting here in the berthing thinking of you.
WHEW- not calling me sweaty or clammy or anything like that and the berthing is a place that Navy guys hang out in on a ship, whew- not dirty or inappropriate and he was totally dressed while writing it! We’re in the clear! It was just a sweat ... oops! sweet note.

The moral of this story is use a dictionary!
**Enjoy this picture of Mr.B. and I on our first "date"- it is an old picture so it's a little damaged.**

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, now that IS an old picture! So cute though!! And a very cute, touching story, love ya.

Anonymous said...

that comment was from me, Jules...

Ashley said...

Thanks Jules- It was an old picture... you know back in the good ol' days when pictures were kept in books, not on computers- LOL LY too!

Anonymous said...

OMG you give me the best chuckles (or is it chuckels?) I am going to laugh at the bearthing thing for quite a while. Ya know by the damage on the picture it kind of does look like you're sweating quite a lot on your right side. I thought it might have been a hot day on the island or maybe Mr. B was making you hot. ;)
XOXOXXX Linda