Thursday, February 19, 2009

pretty practical pantry pride!


We used white shelves (free) we already had, paint (free), cheap wood (5 dollars), chicken wire (15 dollars), hinges (5 dollars) and good ol' fashioned hard work (mostly free).

This is the left side of the pantry


The right side.

The pantry is a very important thing to me. I love a pantry all stocked and ready with food for me to create with. I love to cook and I love eat. A useful pantry is a must have.
When BatGirl found this great house for me, I fell instantly in love with it and have never regretted this move not once. It’s the most beautiful house, greatest location, and I just plain love it.

As I got more settled into the house and unpacked I put my food and kitchen gadgets away here and there and was really trying not to notice that there was no pantry in this glorious house of mine. There was a BIG closet in the garage, near the kitchen that I thought I would put my cans into and also the popcorn maker, the food processor, etc. I went to town putting it all away and settling in but was never truly happy with traipsing out to the garage for that can of beans I needed for dinner.

I’m an ignorer….. I did what I do best, I ignored.

When I could no longer ignore the obvious and the struggles I was having daily in the kitchen going to the garage, and here and there for food and small appliances I got an idea.
I needed an antique armoire to use as a pantry. So Sunday I set out looking here, there and everywhere for the perfect armoire and much to my dismay, it was going to be a SMALL FORTUNE. So I declined the calls of the beautiful armoires that tried to suck me in as they winked at me I ran quickly to escape their beckoning.

On the way home Mr.B. and I brainstormed and decided to use what we already had plus a few extra things and do it our way- the crazy creative way.

Here are the pictures and what we did.

3 comments:

wabisabigirl said...

Cute:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute!

Jen said...

Wow, when I saw this cabinet in your 10 minute room, I had not read your whole blog and did not know that you made it. Again, wow! So cute. I've always wanted to 'chicken wire' some doors w/ fabric, but don't have a cabinet for it...yet. I'm on the look out.