Tuesday, September 16, 2008

daily life with kid4


A few months ago my baby girl-kid4 wanted to go to the airplane museum near our home. My husband and I loaded her up and off we went. We looked at lots of planes and talked to her about lots of different things. She was hungry so we went to the lunch counter there at the museum and as we sat and talked to her about planes and other things Mr. B asked her this very important question.

Mr. B. - “what do you want to be when you grow up?”

Kid4- “NOTHING”

Me- “kid4, when you grow up, you can be anything you want to be. You can be a pilot and fly planes, you can be a veterinarian and help animals, you could be a Doct……” (She cut me off)

Kid4- “I WANT TO BE NOTHING……. JUST like you mommy”

Me- “I guess it’s time for me to get a job…..”

I was of course stunned and not really sure what to say. My husband was also visibly stunned and not really sure what to say either. We both wanted to laugh but knew that wouldn’t be the right thing to do so we just got up and looked at more planes.

I am a parent of 4 children and I have been around LOTS of other kids. I have never had a kid say they wanted to be “nothing”. So… we just let it go. I mean seriously what can you say to that? I don’t really think explaining it all to my 4 year old is the way to go. Won’t she figure that out herself? I’m pretty sure I never thought my mom did “nothing” but I am also pretty sure I couldn’t have understood just all she did do.

My big kids got a huge kick out of it, they laughed and laughed and truly it is funny. Our baby girl cracks us up most days. She says hilarious things. She likes to point out arm pit hair to kid1’s girlfriend’s parents; she likes to say to others that kid2 has armpit hair which is mortifying to a 14 year old girl, and she does not! She likes to say to her teacher that I sped to school but did not get “Caught by the cop”; even though I did not speed (that day). She likes to have gas in fronts of kid1 and kid2 friends and then laugh. She likes to point out the obvious about things like women having facial hair, men having pregnant bellies, or noises in a public restroom. Some days I have to hunker down in the public restroom until all the people who have manufactured the offensive noises that my daughter so LOUDLY pointed out have left, some days I have to quickly cover for things she says out loud, but every day, every single day I adore her and think she is the funniest thing in the whole world.

Thank you kid4 for making each day funnier, more exciting and a little less comfortable than the day before! I adore you. By the way- your Tia thinks I deserve every bit of what you’re giving me!

**note to self- don’t take kid4 out in public

No comments: