Friday, October 16, 2009

what came first?

A few years ago my little goose, as I call her, was a chicken for Halloween. I love kid’s costumes! I love all things not scary and sweet about Halloween like the dressing up in something cute, the orangeness of it all, I love pumpkins, fall leaves, kid’s excitement and candy- duh! When you’re little there’s something so exciting about planning what you want to be for Halloween.

When my big kids were young I needed them to plan ahead because I couldn’t afford all new costumes at the last minute and I made most of their costumes anyway. We have done a friendly witch, lots of princesses and football players, we have been clowns and Pippi Longstocking, farmers and 70’s girls, we have been Army men, Navy men and business men and this year Kid4 is being a Zebra or a ballerina or a princess- we have all of those in our Halloween costume box and I’m a more laid back Mom now that I’m old. As long as it’s in the box already she can be all of them at once, I don’t mind. Some of the kid’s best memories are the free costumes that I threw together because we spent time together making them. You don’t have to spend lots of money to have a good time, to dress up and to enjoy the season.

My point is, are you enjoying this time? My friend Jan is planning a fall festival at her local school, my neighbor is making little ghost pops at her house, we are carving pumpkins and spending time together, my mom is no doubt wrapping candy bars in ribbons and bows for cadets. Kid4 has a stack of orange paper that she is making into pumpkins for our neighbors and we have told funny stories to each other about pumpkins. What are you doing to enjoy this fall? It doesn’t matter how much money you have or what your plans are just be sure to slow down and enjoy every minute.

No comments: