Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Dusty



There’s a certain little boy who turns 12 today. He is one of those little kids that I was talking about loving, he was not born to me. He is Bat Girls kid and he’s a great one!

We met Dusty when he was a little cowboy, way back when he still loved metal guns and Blue’s clues. He was a little whipper-snapper and didn’t sleep much. He and my Kid3 were instantly bonded for life when Kid4 popped his blue’s clues chair, probably on purpose.


He and Kid3 have been running together for ten years now, they think they are brothers, they are the kind of brothers that stick, the kind of brothers who choose each other and aren’t just born that way. They are the kind of brothers who understand each other inside and out and they will be joined for life, I guarantee you. I’m sure that Kid4 will have a son named Dusty and Dusty and son named Kid4…. Errrr…. Something like that!



Dear Dusty,
It seems like just yesterday that you were laughing with those big ol’ chubby cheeks bouncing around. It seems like just yesterday that we couldn’t keep you in the house because you always took off running down the street… yesterday day that I held you in my arms while you cried over a football, yesterday that I yanked out your first tooth. Big ol’ boy I can’t believe that the good ol’ days of your giant blue eyes peering through your circle glasses are gone and you are half grown already. What happened to your circle face, what happened to your wranglers, button down shirts and little cowboy boots?


I’m so thankful for the time we had when you were just a little guy strapped into your car seat, everyone sleeping but you and I, you talking… and talking…. And talking…. I’m so thankful that we had all those talks, I can still hear your little voice and the cute way you said Texas (Sexas). I laugh when I remember how I would get a candy bar in the gas station, open it outside of the car so I wouldn’t wake anyone and how you could always smell it- so I would surprise you with M & M’s and you would be quiet while sucking them in. I’m thankful for you and the memories you gave me and how you love me and how honored I am to have the opportunity to love you and how I will love you forever.


Little boy you’ve grown so big before my eyes and although I’ll miss all those little boy things about you, I’ll keep them close to my heart and never forget and watch you grow into a young man. I can’t wait to make so many more memories and to see you and Kid3 play and grow together as chosen brothers for many many MANY more years.


I love you more than you’ll ever know. Happy Birthday big OLD boy!

No comments: