Friday, November 7, 2008

looking back


When I look back at my past I think of a time when I was very young and carefree. The times I remember most were spent in Hoof-Ville. I never lived there myself but I spent a good share of my childhood there. Many of my closest childhood friends lived there and we lived to see each other during Holidays and summer. My favorite childhood friends name was Laura, I loved her- I still do. She and I were inseparable while I was in town.

I have the fondest memories of that place my sweet sweet Grammie and Granddaddy lived there and we would set up home in their house for our whole visit. We woke every morning to the smell of bacon and eggs. We had daily sweepings from my Grammie- she was a neat freak! I can still see the dust swirling around her as she frantically swept that floor beneath us. If I close my eyes right now I can see the barn, the cows, the garden, the tractors…. It’s all the same to this day. Going there is like stepping back in time, it’s like getting a slice of my childhood back for just an afternoon- it’s like a little slice heaven for only a moment. I love that farm, I love that barn, I love it…

I would spend Sunday mornings at church with all my summer friends and we would laugh and giggle and be thrilled to be together again. I would sit snuggled next to my Grammie in that church pew and she would quietly tear a piece of gum in half for her and me to share. I have counted the ceiling tiles in that building a thousand time I swear. I know that church building like the back of my hand- it’s a part of the fabric of my soul.

As a little girl I dreamed of buying the little house down the red dirt from my Grandparents and living near them forever, I just knew that Laura and I would spend endless days there…. That was my plan and plans change.

Now that I am older and have more reality than I ever cared to have I cherish those times even more. The friendships, the Holidays, the sights and smells they all make up the memories that I have locked deep in my heart and sewn into my soul. When I go back, I try to soak it all up and remember it all at once. I flood myself with memories as I walk towards that run down farm, those broken down tractors, and that grown over garden- the years have taken their toll on that place, but my memories are as fresh as yesterday, I hope they will always stay that clear in my mind.

**the picture above is of my friends and I one Summer at the local park in Hoof-Ville

Misty, Mindy, Kelly, Ashley, Laura, Matt

1 comment:

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I love that picture!! There's so much joy and energy in it! Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your childhood memories. I loved reading this post!

Blessings,
Lacy