Tuesday, February 1, 2011

teenagers, car trips and growing up boys...



While Mr. B. is gone, Im trying to spend alone with each of my kids to connect with them, to remember that they are human and not just my children, children living in my house. Sometimes I get caught up in giving them money, feeding them, making sure they are safe, worrying about them and I forget to ask them about themselves, I forget to talk to them like they are people, my little people that I adore so much.

Yesterday I took Kid1 to visit my brother. It's an almost 3 hour drive up there, and I thought this would be a good time to do some real talking about life ahead of him, some things he needs to work on alone and some things we can work on together. I have to keep reminding myself that 18 is not grown and he still needs my advise.

We talked, we ate a nice lunch together, we visited my brother and we stopped at a revolutionary war cemetery on the way home. It was nice to reconnect with him, hear his thoughts and fears. I'm not the best advise giver, I just want to take it all from them and make it all better… but it doesn't work that way. Why can life be so brutal? When did these kids grow up enough to make their own life messes?

Will we make it through these next few years with 3 teenagers?

Stay tuned!

No comments: