Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SO… you think you "know EVERYTHING"?


Do you ever hear other parents say "teenagers think they know EVERYTHING"? Do you agree? Do you think that your teenagers, or teenagers in general, think they "know EVERYTHING"? I agree and disagree all at the same time. Sometimes I watch my teens grasp at anything and everything because they are so aware that they know nothing and it's so hard to watch them struggle while knowing they must learn on their own. Sometimes it's horrible to have to watch them be so confident that they know just how to do something that you know they know nothing about and watch them fail.

Do you want to know what I have realized as I am raising teens? I have realized that not only do they not "know everything", I don't "know everything" either. In fact I have come to the sad realization that I know very little. As I watch them stumble down the paths of teenager-hood tripping and falling sometimes and succeeding and skipping along other times I feel like Im on a roller coaster running behind them clapping for the good times and trying to catch them during the bad times all along not knowing anything at all just hoping to do the right things.

Raising teenagers is a helpless feeling, like betting your last dime on a turtle in a horserace. Im crossing my fingers, closing my eyes and praying hard that my kids turn out human at the end of this thing they call teenagers…

No comments: