Thursday, January 28, 2010

me at 3 am "connecting"


How do you connect with your kids? Do you meet them half way? Do you wait till they come to you? Do you push them into connecting?

I don’t know the best way to connect with my kids, in fact *gasp* I’m really unsure of this whole parenting teens thing but I know I want to connect with them. I want to connect with them on an emotional level, laughing and enjoying them. I also want to connect with them on a parental level, giving them good solid advice and guiding them through rough teenage waters. I hope I am connecting with them, I hope they’ll look back and feel connected to me too.

I have been spending more time with my teens lately and much to my surprise I love it. I love watching them grow. I love hearing them laugh about ridiculous things. I like their inappropriate humor, and stupid jokes. I am in TOTAL LOVE with their friends and I think connecting on their level is important. Like they probably won't open up to you in front of the news... but they might open up over a middle of the night breakfast at waffle house.

I love how teenagers have a light in their eye, a spark in their heart. Teenagers have a zip in their step that adults lose. I try to keep up with my teens, loving them, talking to them, listening to them, trying to understand where they’re coming from.

Love your teens, enjoy them, seize the day, the moment- they’re only teens once (thank God)

No comments: