Monday, April 29, 2013

CATS.... all this time and all she has to talk about is cats....

Kid4 drew this in first grade :)


I read a children's book called "All Cats Have Aspergers Syndrome" and daily I am reminded of that with Kitty-Mae. Every single morning I am just positive that her thought process goes like this: I know she's in there. MEOW. I know if I meow just a few more times, she'll hear me. MEOW, MEOW, MEOW. I bet she didn't really hear me. MEEEOOOW. She probably isn't listening. MEOW. MEEOOW. MEEEEOOOW. MEOW. I bet she was distracted, let me try again. MEOW.

This happens until I let her in. This also often happens with Kid4, who also has Aspergers. Many days our conversations go like this:

Me- I am going to the store, you MAY not leave the house while Im gone, your brother is upstairs. Do you understand me?

Kid4- Yes.... (hesitates, and I wait knowing that she will ask something else...) but what if by BFF gets home?

Me- you MAY NOT go outside. period. NO. I'll be home soon.

Kid4- ok (in her best whiney voice)

****meanwhile as I walk into the store... RING RING****

Me- hello Kid4, how can I help you?

Kid4- MOOOOM, My BFF's home, can I go outside to play?

Me- are you serious?

Kid4- yes

Me- KID4, I said you were not going outside until I got home. Thats the end of it.

Kid4- Mom.....

Me- yes.....?

Kid4- but I'll be SO careful

Me- NO!

Kid4- her mom is home

Me- I am serious about this, I said no.

Kid4- even if Im really careful and don't ride my bike in the street?

Me- I am done with the conversation, we either hang up now and you stay in or you will spend the whole weekend inside! Do you understand me? Now you need to say goodbye and hang up the phone!

Kid4- goodbye

*****meanwhile at the store.....RING RING*****

Me- Hello.

Kid4- can she come in?

Me- HANG UP THE PHONE AND STEP AWAY FROM IT. I WILL BE HOME SOON.

Kid4- is that a no?

Me- HANG UP BEFORE I COME UNGLUED. IT's a NO!

Kid4- (a little scared) ok.

****click****

I then hurry through the rest of my visit ( I was gone less than 45 minutes) and get home and she runs past me saying "oh that wasn't so long..." and I mostly want to choke her because it would have been a lot quicker and a lot less irritating if she would have just let me shop and not called.

Heres where the Aspergers comes in, she really feels like if she says it differently, I will understand her. She honestly believes that the reason I have said no is because she said it wrong or I heard it wrong and my cat feels the same way!

I love the Aspergers in her for so many reasons, the persistent rephrasing of the same question is not one of them.


No comments: