Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The graduate, a fantasy and one dream at a time...




You think it will be easy… the kid is born, you feed him, you diaper him, you play with him, you send him to school and VILOA one day he graduates and goes off to college… RIGHT?

WRONG!

That’s right! I’m telling you THIS MINUTE that all those car commercials are DEAD WRONG! Will some of your kids do that? Yes, yes… I’m sure some of you lucky parents out there will have some kids that will zip along through life and just be easy as pie. They will give you no grief and just skip along through school, drive off safely to college and THANK GOD for you because THIS IS NOT what has happened in our house.

Kid1 has not skated though much in his life. If I would have known that his first of day of kinder would be indicative of every single day of school until graduation I probably would have bought a house boat and moved to Fiji! I would have never guessed that the begging and crying would turn into begging and crying all through elementary, faking sick through junior high and then skipping in high school… :/

Onto the graduation-

He graduated. Kid1 walked across the stage that night with his graduation cap and gown on, not only did I feel like the blood left my body with an overcoming sense of relief I also felt overwhelmed with so many emotions.

He did it.

I did it.

We did it.

His father missed it.

I felt like he and I were the only two people in that big room that night.

How did this baby my first baby grow up so fast?


It seemed like yesterday that I was holding him on the steps of kindergarten while he sobbed and begged not to go. It seemed like yesterday that I was promising him that he would be okay if he just gave it a chance. It seemed like yesterday he was just a little tiny thing. How could he have grown so big? How was he on the verge of being a man?

I stood there almost afraid to blink, almost afraid to move fearing that if I did this would either all be a dream and all that we had worked so hard for would be untrue or he would be standing before me as a 30 year old man with a family…

My baby, My son, you made me a mother and I have said this to you so many times, I love you like crazy. There is no way to describe how it feels to see your first baby for the first time. I was so young, I was so scared but so calm. My son, you and I have something that is rare. You and I understand one another on a very deep level. I pray for you daily and want so badly for you to live life to the fullest and learn the valuable lessons that life has to offer you. I love you, I’m proud of you. Congratulations on quite an accomplishment. You are certainly ONE OF A KIND!

I love you,

Mom

No comments: